Day 23 of 31 days of depression.
I cannot stress the importance of this step enough.
Satan is conniving and sneaky. He knows us and knows how to hit below the belt. If you don’t know any scripture, it’s very difficult to counter the lies he whispers with God’s truth.
Even if it’s only one scripture, it’s a start but I beg of you, don’t stop there.
You need them in your heart, buried and safe so you can defeat his arrows.
I believe the lies that the enemy shares. And I tend to dwell on those lies. Once I started memorizing scriptures and making a point to counter the lie when I heard it, I realized what it meant to take my thoughts captive.
Don’t snub your nose at this gift because it’s huge. Next to salvation, I think it’s the best gift I’ve ever received.
- You’re worthless.
- Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Colossians 3:12
- God doesn’t want good things for you.
- If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! Matthew 7:11
- There’s no hope for you.
- May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
- Nothing good will ever happen to you.
- For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
- You’re never going to get a break.
- “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28
- You’re such a failure. You’re probably not really even saved.
- That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9
- You continue to sin, surely you are not a believer.
- If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9
- No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. 1 Corinthians 10:13
- God doesn’t really love you.
- My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139:15-16
- You’re such a waste.
- Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own. 1 Corinthians 6:19
The bible is God’s love letter to us. When the lies begin to seep in – and they always do – combat them. Repeat a scripture over and over again until the lie disappears. You have power over your mind. Utilize it.
- Memorize this scripture: Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! 2 Corinthians 5:17
- Writing Prompt: What lies have you believed? Write them down. All of them. Then find a scripture to counter that lie. The truth sets us free. Memorize scriptures so no matter where you are, you can fight! Don’t forget to write what you are thankful for and act on it. *If you would like a safe and free place to write, try this online journal at Penzu. It is password protected and you can even encrypt the journal if you need to. You can also use a fake name and junk email address for further protection. This way no one at home finds your personal diary entries.
- Pray: Lord, there are so many lies I have bought in my life about who I am. I pray that you would reveal them to me and help me battle the lies with your truth. Show me the areas I need to work on. In Jesus Name, Amen.
To purchase this song: Beautiful
The next 31 days we will be discussing depression and healthy ways to combat it but we’re going to get real too. Because for those of us who wind up in the pit often, we know platitudes and fluff pieces do nothing for us. My expertise is only based on my own very personal battles with depression and is no way, professional or medical advice. Your participation in this series is voluntary and Melinda Todd is not legally responsible for any choices or actions of participants. Participants release Melinda Todd and Trailing After God from responsibility and liability and continue at their own risk and discretion.
*PS – I realize the word beautiful is misspelled – I assume a child wrote this sweet note and I thought the mistake fit the topic for today 🙂