Day 2 of 31 days of depression. Here is day 1 in case you missed it: Warning: I don’t care!
I love the song, The Gambler, by Kenny Rogers. There are so many times in life where i think, you’ve got to know when to hold ’em, know when to fold ’em, know when to walk away, know when to run…
Know when to run. From myself or my own mind. From depression.
In order to do that, I have to step out of myself and find something productive to do for someone else! And it requires leaving the house.
I know, some of you are cringing right now. I’m asking you to step out of your comfortable cocoon when you don’t feel like going anywhere or putting any effort into anything.
Do it anyway.
Get showered. Get dressed. Get out.
Not tomorrow or next week. Today.
- Go help at the homeless shelter. Serve a meal or clean bathrooms.
- Call the nursing home and ask if you can come play board games or visit. Lots of very lonely elderly folks sitting alone, waiting for you.
- Go to the animal shelter. Pet some cats, walk a dog.
- Volunteer with the church outreach.
- Weed your elderly neighbors flower bed, mow their lawn, make some cookies, take a meal.
- Help a mama with lots of littles at home; fold laundry, clean, make dinner, or visit.
- Assist at the local food bank.
- Donate stuff you aren’t using; clothing, bedding, food, etc.
- Volunteer at the pregnancy crisis center.
- Volunteer at the school. You can make copies, fold papers, deliver items, etc.
If you are having a hard time convincing yourself to get up and do this, think back to the last time you did something for someone else. How’d you feel afterward? Let that feeling sink in and then get going.
- Memorize this scripture: So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. John 8:36
- Pray: Lord, please help me out of this pit of depression. Free my mind and body from it’s oppression and help me to step outside of myself and help someone in need. Show me who you would have me help. In Jesus Name, Amen.
- Choose: decide where you will go to volunteer or what you will do for someone else. Get excited about it!
Who will you choose to bless today? Are you willing to push through those feelings that tell you it’s too hard, you can’t do it? *You may comment anonymously. Email addies aren’t published and you are welcome to use another name. Comment policy still applies.
To purchase this song: Love Them Like Jesus
Day 3: Prepare for the Journey
The next 31 days we will be discussing depression and healthy ways to combat it but we’re going to get real too. Because for those of us who wind up in the pit often, we know platitudes and fluff pieces do nothing for us. My expertise is only based 0n my own very personal battles with depression and is no way, professional or medical advice. Your participation in this series is voluntary and Melinda Todd is not legally responsible for any choices or actions of participants. Participants release Melinda Todd and Trailing After God from responsibility and liability and continue at their own risk and discretion.