Most of us are familiar with this story. The Israelites have been delivered from slavery and yet, they are complaining because they miss the good food they used to have. They actually considered returning as slaves for food!
That sounds crazy at first but when we look closer at our own lives, we too are often willing to make unwise decisions in order to eat what we want. We grumble because we have to eat fruits and veggies and pass up the ice cream or ho-hos.
There are times I’d like to have a chat with Eve and say, “Girl, why’d you mess up such a good thing?” And then God taps on my conscience and reminds me I can ask myself that. I gave up a healthy body for food. Just like the Israelites were willing to give up their personal safety for their bellies.
Genesis 3:17 says, “Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat food from it” Not only will we have to work hard for our food but it’s going to be painful. Perhaps when we bypass having to work for our food by zipping into the drive thru, we’re trying to avoid God’s consequences as well. When we take the easy route, nothing good comes from it.
The next time we are toiling over making a healthy meal, we can remember that we are obeying God by working for our food. The extra time is done in obedience and we know God honors obedience.
- Journal Questions from Made To Crave: Are there foods you can’t or won’t deny yourself in order to make healthier choices? Why are these foods especially important to you? What thoughts and feelings arise when you think about potentially giving them up?
- As Christians, our calling — and our source of spiritual nourishment – is to do God’s will and finish His work (John 4:34). To what degree have consuming thoughts about food impacted your ability to pursue your calling and receive spiritual nourishment? *Are you willing to give it up for a while? To fast from those foods for a time?
- Prepare a healthy meal that takes time and while doing so, thank the Lord that you have the ability to prepare and eat healthy food that honors the body He has given you.
- Share – What food are you giving up and for how long? I am giving up ice cream. That’s a tough one for me. What about you? Share in the comments below so we can cheer you on!
Today’s Fitness Tip:
- Follow the ones who encourage good health. Unfollow the ones who make you feel like you don’t measure up. If you are seeing stuff in your Facebook, twitter or G+ streams that entices you to bash on yourself, why are you following them? You choose who you follow. Here are some wholesome pages to follow: Fit to Be Us, DARdreams, Modern Alternative Kitchen.
- If you have a healthy site to add, please leave a comment below! ~ Women’s Fitness Specialist, Bethany Learn of Fit 2 B Studio
Like this post if you are participating in this online study! Join us as we discuss further at Made To Crave Unofficial Fan Page.
Photo Credit: Footprintstohealth